The Vision Quest is one of the most powerful and enduring experiences which is available to us in our contemporary society. It is an opportunity to step outside of all the routines of everyday life and see one’s self and one’s life through a new set of lenses.
After 25 years of running the annual and bi-annual Vision Quest, we are currently in the process of reorganising the ceremony and unfortunately, we regret to inform that the Vision Quest will not be held in 2019. Please stay in contact for future developments and services regarding the Vision Quest journey and ceremony.
Drawing upon the ritual and traditions of indigenous cultures from around the world, and framed by the spiritual landscape of Australia, the Spirit of the Earth Medicine Society [SOTEMS] takes each participant into the wilderness to encounter the opening of a personal, spiritual pathway, a cleansing and renewal so that each may return regenerated.
There are few opportunities like this within our contemporary society wherein we can step out of everyday life and submit ourselves to a process which clears our horizons. It is a peerless experience.
The Vision Quest involves:
- A meditation in nature, alone, within a dreaming wheel
- It occurs in a place which speaks to you and you alone
- It spans three/five days and three/five nights
- It requires the discipline of fasting and diminished sleep
- It involves facing the east each morning as the sun crosses the horizon so that Spirit may speak and renew you
- You are given songs and meditations which enrich and focus your vigil and search
- It begins and ends with the traditional purification of the sweat lodge ceremony
- There is the opportunity to share your story and to have your personal needs for integration of the experience met
- It is overall, a ceremony of transition and renewal
- For one week before the quest proper begins, you will be required to do daily meditations. Once you are registered for the quest, the details of these practices will be supplied to you
Throughout and beyond the vigil, you are supported by highly trained personnel from SOTEMS, the Spirit of the Earth Medicine Society. Being a wilderness area we use satellite phones for emergency communication and the safety of our participants which is paramount.
The Vision Quest is held in wilderness areas so that there is no contact with the circumstances of everyday life and immersion in Nature is maximised. The Quest has been run at the Hugh River, an ancient place, the second oldest river in the world with a history of some 3-400 million years. Participants should arrange to travel to Alice Springs where they will be met and transported to the Quest location. It is best to arrive the day before the Quest begins.
Care is taken to select an area, which does not cause any distress for Aboriginal people.
Participants should arrange to travel to Alice Springs where they will be met and transported to the Quest location. Further details will be made available upon registration.
For specific information or to register your interest about the Central Australian Vision Quest when we rerun this journey in the future, please contact SOTEMS on email email@example.com